📱 Improving usability on Mobile
The last major pain point I wanted to adress in this phase 2 was the mobile experience. The tool being originally primarily designed for tablet and desktop, navigating it through mobile felt very unsettling and frustrating.
Looking at analytics, it came out that almost half of users would access the tool on mobile, with an average session duration much lower than on Desktop.
I started by looking at users interactions with the mobile tool, and while completing tasks was mostly as successful as on Desktop, the overall experience was rated much lower, with a very poor interface :
I started by listing the different friction points that we identified:
No way to access the results
Filters can be quite confusing, sitting at different places
Service selection with a very small clickable area
To solve those points, I decided to completely redesign the mobile view, with filters displayed to match the desktop view, as well as two tabs at the bottom allowing to switch easily between the 3D globe and results.
There are a couple of features I wasn’t able to introduce on mobile due to externals factors, such as the virtual tour and satellite comparison, so we decided for now to specify the full experience was available on desktop, under the help icon where the virtual tour would normally sit.